Monday, April 19, 2010

Ice Cube Lied, Today Was Not a Good Day

After spending my morning writing articles for SheKnows.com about Christina Applegate's engagement:
http://www.sheknows.com/articles/814743/christina-applegate-is-engaged-1


And Kim Kardashian's--sigh--latest desperate attempts for attention and relevance:
http://www.sheknows.com/articles/814744/is-kim-kardashian-dating-european-soccer-star-1

My day went from bad to worse when I found out the editor I had fallen in love with at Simon & Schuster, my dream publisher, couldn't get the company's support for my book proposal and had to pass.

Crestfallen and miserable, my usual MO is to head to the closest Chipotle so I can eat my feelings. But today I decided to go the healthy route and endorphin-ize my sorrow away, so I struck out for Lake Hollywood to take a sunny, sweaty walk and clear my head.

That's when things went from bitter to beautiful.

Rounding the top of Lake Hollywood Drive, I gasped as I saw a field of buttery yellow wildflowers blanketing the hillside. These photos hardly do it justice.


After a day of feeling mired in seeming impossibility and failure, these flowers were the perfect reminder to stop, take a look around, and get some perspective because you never know what's around the next corner.

When "No" seems to be the only word I hear anymore, I try to remember two things: the words of my father and the words of Truman Capote.

My dad always tells me, life isn't an election. You don't need a million people to back you up and say yes, you just need one; the right one. And Truman Capote once said, "Failure is the condiment that gives success it's flavor."

Here's hoping tomorrow is tastier than today.

No comments:

Post a Comment