Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Best Thing I Ate Today: Mexico

If this post is a little wonky, g'head and blame the scrumptious watermelon margaritas that washed down my happy hour dinner.

On a recent Runyon hike, I ran into Komisha, a friend from USC who I hadn't seen in years. Rather than passing like ships in the night along the trail, we decided to catch up on the last decade over half-priced ceviche and margaritas on the terrace of Mexico in West Hollywood.

This evening, at the end of a pristine day, with the sun shining and a cool breeze blowing, we kicked off their 5-8pm happy hour by attacking a basket of fresh chips served with tart tomatillo salsa, heavy on the lime and cilantro, and smoky salsa negra.

Needing something extra to sop up the tequila hitting our very empty stomachs, we asked for an order of guacamole, unprepared for the magnitude of what would arrive. It was phenomenal! Super chunky and incredibly fresh, I wouldn't be surprised if Mexico mashes each serving to order. It was a meal in itself.

A watercress salad with jicima, cotija cheese, and tortilla strips was light and peppery, though I picked out the overpoweringly large pieces of red onion.

Halibut ceviche and carnitas tacos. The ceviche was bright and tender, the tacos were succulent and spicy.
One of Mexico's waitresses used to work with me back in my Avalon/Spiderclub days. She very kindly brought us a bevy of desserts, including a remarkably tasty gluten-free chocolate chip mini bundt cake, ancho chile truffles, and a divinely decadent caramel macadamia nut blondie that was not only the best thing I ate today, but the best thing I've had all week.

This is how you end a happy hour. Nothing says style like a sombrero.


8512 Santa Monica Blvd
West Hollywood, CA 90069
(310) 289-0088

No comments:

Post a Comment