Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Best Thing I Ate Today: Doughboy's Pan Bagnat

Doughboys' Pan Bagnat is a sandwich worthy of tears. Yes, it's that good. When Doughboys shut down in 2007, I wept for the city's loss and tipped a forty to the homie. Except the forty was actually red velvet cake in their honor.

But Doughboys is back and my tears are now tears of joy.

The truth is, if you dig carbs, you can't really go wrong with Doughboys. All my friends have their favorite; Mahdi goes for The Monster, an open faced focaccia sandwich piled up with swiss cheese, grilled onions, mushrooms and roast beef that's dipped in horseradish sauce. Jenny stays classic with either French Onion Soup or a Grilled Cheese Sandwich and Tomato Soup. John leans towards salads, like the namesake Doughboy Salad, chicken, potatoes, artichokes, cucumber, tomato, green beans, eggs, corn and oranges in a black olive and asiago cheese dressing. And I will always love the Pan Bagnat.

Served on what is essentially an entire baguette, your bread arrives marinated in pesto and heaped with the sandwich version of a Nicoise Salad, tuna, tomato, cucumber, olives, green beans, hard-boiled eggs, capers and artichokes, all tossed in a basil-laced oil and vinegar dressing. One bite and my mouth is in Provence. Oui oui! Just thinking about it brings a lump to my throat and a rumble to my stomach. Viva Doughboys.

No comments:

Post a Comment