Saturday, May 15, 2010

The Best Thing I Ate Today: India's Sweets and Spices

Before settling in to watch last night's finale of "Private Chefs of Beverly Hills," the girls and I struck out for some pre-crafting fun at Michael's, my first trip to the mega-amazing Super King and a brilliant to-go dinner from India's Sweets and Spices.

Caroline and Erin in the feather aisle.

Rachel and I getting our swerve on in the oversized glass aisle. Seriously, what are you supposed to use a 10-gallon cognac snifter for?


$12 dollars later, from Sweets and Spices, we had enough food for everyone to enjoy. Our two item combo came with fragrant pea and carrot-studded basmati rice, raw cabbage salad, chapati, pappadam, a fiery somosa flecked with whole cumin seed, spicy curried chickpeas, and punjabi kahdi, which is a creamy vegetarian yogurt curry. Because I'm obsessed we also got a ton of extra green chutney, a spicy, refreshing mix of cilantro, mint, garlic and chile, to pour over everything.


Masala Dosa in the house! Fresh off the griddle, yeasty and crispy, brimming with turmeric spiced potatoes, the dosa comes with a super gingery lentil stew of sorts that you pour into and over it, followed by the roasted red pepper sauce and a creamy version of the aforementioned "green chutney." Total mouth-gasm.
My half massacred plate.

I can't think of a better way to wish "Private Chefs" bon voyage (That is, unless we get picked up for 13 more episodes). Crawling into bed, my fingers still scented with curry and cilantro, I was one very happy camper.

India's Sweets and Spices
3126 Los Feliz Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90039

No comments:

Post a Comment