Monday, November 1, 2010

Bingo, Bango, Bongo: It's Trick-or-Treat Brittle!

Girrrl! Don't get me started on how much I love Bingo!

Whenever I'm in Northern California visiting my folks, I try to make it to the local JCC game where I once took home $250 bucks thanks to a kite formation. I even went on Bingo America, hosted by Patrick Duffy, who I noticed was a fan of Crocs, and won $6500 a few years ago.

Bingo is the jam!

So why don't I go more often? Especially when there's Hamburger Mary's "world famous" drag queen game around the corner from my place? It was a wrong that needed to be righted. So this pre-Halloween week, I grabbed Mario and Rachel and got ready for some B-I-N-G-O f-u-n.

From the moment I landed this sexy dobber, it was game on!

And by the second round, I'd won! What did I win? A bingo set (which happens to be my second one), a slew of candy and some bubbles.

Not to be excluded, Rachel scored tickets to the ballet and Mario took the night's top prize, a Kindle, a picnic set, and a little spanking...

Inspired by the candy in my prize pack, I went home and tried out a new recipe that I totally fell in love with. A spin on my new favorite, Bar Stool Brittle, this is Trick-or-Treat Brittle and, as our Bingo host would say, it's fiiiiierce.

It combines salty goodness, like potato chips, pretzels and peanuts, with sweet yummies, like chopped up Snickers, Reese's Pieces and Peanut M & M's or any other candy you have leftover from Halloween. Betcha can't eat just one...pound.


Trick-or-Treat Brittle
2 cups white sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
pinch salt
1/2 cup water
4 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 cup Munch ‘n’ Crunch or Cracker Jacks
1/2 cup pretzels
1 cup potato chips, lightly crushed
1/2 cup chocolate covered pretzels
1/2 cup white chocolate covered pretzels
1 cup Halloween candy, chopped (i.e.: Snickers, Baby Ruth, 3 Musketeers, M&Ms, Reese's Pieces, Whoppers)

Grease a large cookie sheet and sprinkle with crushed potato chips, chocolate and regular pretzels and half the candy.

In a high-sided skillet over medium-high heat, combine sugar, corn syrup, salt and water. Stir and cook until sugar is dissolved and begins to turn a light amber color, about 7-10 minutes or until it reaches 300 degrees (for those of you with a candy thermometer).

Remove pan from heat and quickly stir in butter and baking soda. The brittle will instantly change; bubbling up, becoming caramel and releasing steam. Be very careful and work quickly.

Pour brittle over chips and pretzels on cookie sheet. Drizzle with Munch ‘n’ Crunch, and remaining candy.

Allow brittle to cool and snap into pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment