Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Malkovich, Meeting Secretariat, Mongolian BBQ and Musical Sing-a-Longs

It was 115 degrees in LA yesterday so what better time to move inland. As in, away from the water. As in toward the molten center of the earth where it would be even hotter. Ugh!

Why would anyone make such an insane choice? Well, it wasn't really up to me. I had to go to Santa Anita Park, the oldest horse racetrack in California, for the Secretariat press day.

AC on full blast, my dread quickly gave way to giddiness as I arrived at the glorious art deco park . I felt suddenly, fabulously Great Gasby-esque. Besides, it was a dry heat. So what if the air huffing out of my mouth felt cool, this was mint julep territory and I wasn't going to let the heat bring me down.

The two things I was the most excited about were the possibility of horses and proximity to John Malkovich.

I had the major hots for Malkie back in high school, circa Dangerous Liaisons. My mother was seriously worried about me.
(JM and Nelsan Ellis, aka: True Blood's Lafayette, aka: The Best Character on Television)

During the press conference, Malkovich didn't disappoint, especially when addressing his wardrobe as Secretariat’s trainer, Lucien Laurin, a man who is described as dressing like Super Fly. “1973 is really the nadir of the history of fashion. When you watch [Secretariat’s] races on YouTube, the astonishing ugliness of the clothes just blinds you.”

Oh, John, you slay me.

Just when I thought things couldn't get any better, lookie what I found.

I was never one of those "horsie" girls growing up. Living in New York, I guess I realized it simply wouldn't be practical as part of apartment living. But getting this close to such a tremendous, haunting animal, I went into Elmira mode. I wanted to hug and squeeze it and love it forever and ever. "A pony" is totally going at to the top of my holiday wish list this year.

After my day at the races, I drove back into the sweltering city for a quickie meal of Mongolian BBQ...
Some light reading...
(How much do I love that Rob Lowe is totally sucking it in?!? Hilar.)

And an evening with friends at the El Capitan for Beauty and the Beast Sing-a-Long.


Disney was on fire when I was in high school, putting out a string of classics in quick succession.

Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King; they all have such sentimental value, but I didn't realize what a grip they had on my heart until Belle came out to introduce the show...

I was literally squealing.

And then then music started. Every lyric, every song, it came flooding back as we sang and clapped and danced in our seats.

Little town, it's a quiet village..."

We've decided every movie should be done as a sing-a-long. It was Ah-may-zing!

No comments:

Post a Comment