Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Best Thing I Ate Today: Doughboy's Pineapple-Coconut-Macadamia Nut Pancakes


Three words:

Off. The. Charts!

Doughboys has long been one of my favorite standbys in LA. When they shut down for a few years, I cried. Literally.

Now that they're back and better than ever, JMT, Jenny and I have made it our business to work out way through their entire tome of a menu rather than clinging to our perennial orders (their Pan Bagnat and I go way back).

To that end, last night we decided to order the Pineapple-Coconut-Macadamia Nut pancakes for dessert and all of a sudden it was like we were acting out a scene from "When Harry Met Sally."

The truth is, the pancakes started out just o-tay. They have a nice tropical flavor, accented by the rich crunch of macadamia nuts and flecks of meaty coconut, but I wouldn't stop traffic for them.

That was until our waitress brought the magical missing ingredient: The sauce. Oh, lord have mercy, the sauce!

You see, these bad boys don't come with syrup. They are served with the thickest, richest, most luscious caramel sauce you can imagine. Stop the presses! Excuse moi! We are talking slap-your-grandma good. All you could hear was us gasping through stuffed mouths, "Oh my GOD! OH MY GOD! That is AMAZING!"

Thick, fluffy and creamy, the "sauce" is almost a caramel pudding and we showed no shame, plunging in for spoon and finger-fulls, as evidenced by our bowl, which we licked clean.

We're already planning to get extra "sauce" on the side the next time we're there. To be honest, I kind of hate the fact that we ordered those damn pancakes. Now, it's all I can think about.

Caramel, you are the siren song.

No comments:

Post a Comment